Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Gordy's character in The Yellow Handkerchief - interview, captures

Here are the parts about Gordy from an interesting interview with Eddie Redmayne about getting a handle on his 
strange character, which meant doing road trip research and adopting a Southern drawl.
Chatting with "The Yellow Handkerchief" star Eddie Redmayne 
by Louis Peitzman - published in San Francisco Bay Guardian on 03.01.2010





ER about Gordy's character: I would say he is an open-hearted eccentric. He has spent his entire life as an outcast. He’s trying to find his own way, so he’s never fit in really. But he has an open heart, which is often misunderstood.



ER about what drew him to the character: What drew me to the character was how utterly ridiculous it was that they would consider the idea of an English actor to play the part. When I read it, I thought that’s the most absurd thing in the world, I will never get it. So I went into the audition without a sort of care in the world, assuming that it was madness that they would consider me. I suppose what drew me to the part was how far from me he was.


ER about playing American parts and preparing for the role: For me, what I love about my job is, I love storytelling. And if the story’s a good one to tell, then I’m incredibly proud to be a part of it, whether it’s English, American. It’s neither here nor there, really. I found this one a specific challenge and working on the accent was challenging. I had a great dialect coach. And also you feel a responsibility when it’s someone so far from where you are. But you have to actually go under the skin of it. So I did go down to Louisiana and do a road trip from Oklahoma through the Osage nation reservation and then down into New Orleans, so at least I could get a sense of the geography and the kind of places this guy was growing up in.


ER about creating Gordy's backstory: Well, I don’t know if you remember the [sketchbook]. That was something that, when I did my road trip, I collected myself. I went and used all these disposable cameras and took photos and did drawings and messed around. Which was a lot of fun, and a way of building up a backstory for who he was and who his dad was and what his life story had been. For the audience, it’s kind of extraneous, I suppose, but for me it’s important that I knew where he was from.


Another interesting long interview with Kristen and Eddie:
Kristen Stewart and Eddie Redmayne's Road Trip Romance
By Lynn Barker - published in Teen Hollywood on 2010. February 19. (x)





1 comment:

  1. Exceptional post however , I was wanting to know if you could write a litte more on
    this subject? I'd be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more.

    Kudos!

    Also visit my blog: seo

    ReplyDelete

Your comment can be published after moderation